Have you thought of trying all natural ways to repel insects without needing to use any harmful chemicals? Many of these are already found in your home. Here are some ways to repel insects both inside and out… naturally!
What Spices Certain Bugs Hate
- Ants have a strong sense of smell and dislike cinnamon, garlic, and mint
- Lay cinnamon sticks or garlic cloves on windowsills or under the kitchen sink to deter them
- Plant mint along your home's foundation to repel them outdoors
- Plant peppermint in pots on your deck or in your yard and garden to repel spiders, fleas, and ticks
- To keep spiders from coming inside, place a drop or two of peppermint essential oil or pure extract in the corners of door frames and windows where spiders have been seen
- Crush fresh peppermint leaves and rub over your skin before venturing outdoors
- Citronella, lemon, eucalyptus, lavender, calendula (marigold), and geranium all repel mosquitoes
- Plant lavender and geraniums in pots on the porch or deck
- Lay lemons cut in half near outdoor seating
- Citronella essential oil can be used sparingly in drops around windowsills or outdoor seating areas
- Bay leaves and rosemary can be used in bowls around outdoor seating areas to repel flies
- Lavender and mint will also repel flies
Place 3-4 shiny pennies in a plastic sandwich bag with about 1/2" water. Seal bag and tack on door frame of outside door. The reflection of the pennies in the water will chase flies away. This is a great trick for camping and your tent.
DIY Project: Bug-Repelling Lantern
*Essential oils will work best, but you can try pure peppermint extract (1/4-1/2 t. in each jar) if you do not have the essential oils.
Want a Natural Solution?
See Ya! Outdoor Lotion Bar
See Ya! Outdoor Soap
See Ya! Outdoor Spray