Do you know that your skin absorbs about 60% of whatever you rub on it? It is the body's largest organ so caution should be taken to only use products that are natural and not filled with unwanted chemicals.
Recently, a friend called my attention to a famous retailer that offers massage oil in various scents... ones to help you sleep, or relax, or reduce stress, or be sensual. But as with any product, I always immediately turn to the ingredients label! What's in it? Well, turns out... a bunch of bad-for-you stuff! So that prompted me to explain why we chose certain ingredients for our own Tailored Touches Relaxing All Natural Massage or Bath Oil.
Why all the fuss over ingredients?
A dear friend who has a lot of issues with tight muscles has found that getting a massage biweekly or monthly has eliminated all the back problems and headaches she was getting. So naturally I asked her what massage oil her masseuse was using. She told me it was something she had found at a bath & body store at the mall. Looking at the label, it was filled with all sorts of chemical preservatives and emollients that weren't natural. Yikes! I was concerned that all these chemicals were being rubbed in to her skin each week. Ewww....
After significant research, I designed a massage oil that uses only natural oils that are far safer than what she was using. She tells me her masseuse asked where she had gotten it, saying it was the best oil she had ever used. No kidding! She said it had just the right amount of "slip" to it to give a wonderful massage, and the scent was relaxing and more pleasant than her usual oil. Now she is hooked and uses it on her other clients!
So why all the fuss? Remember that your skin absorbs 60%? Yep, add that fact to a warm rub-down or a tub of warm water, if using as a bath oil, and your skin is pulling in all sorts of stuff. Yikes! With all the chemicals our bodies are hit by each day, why intentionally rub more in? Be choosy and read the labels of your products... your skin will love you!
So, what's in it... and why?
- Apricot Kernel oil is a lightweight oil that is high in vitamin A. It's great for dry, irritated, or mature skin;
- Macadamia Nut oil is an excellent emollient and very similar to our own skin's sebum (oily secretions that help to protect our skin);
- Pumpkin seed oil is high in Omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids; perfect for dry and damaged skin;
- Sesame oil is rich in Vitamin E, which is an anti-oxidant that helps to repair and protect your skin;
- Vitamin E is added for a little extra boost!
- Essential oil blend that includes Lavender (relaxing), patchouli (sensual), orange, lemongrass (uplifting), pine, and a bit of gardenia. Together, these oils create a sensual, relaxing, yet still, light scent that is pleasing to both women and men.
So that's it! Five different oils and a touch of essential oils to add scent... compare that to the "other" massage oils which have all sorts of words I can't even pronounce on their ingredients label!
* Any information contained herein is intended for informational purposes only. No advice or recommendations are implied nor should be interpreted as such.